Sunday, January 18, 2009

Topping the List

Recently, I saw what I think is my favourite movie of all time.

This is no small thing.

My favourite movies are few, and a short list: The Abyss, The original Star Wars, Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes.

But topping them all is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

I think it's the poignancy of the story that gets me -- along with the music, and the performances. It touched me in such a way that I think I haven't been in a long while.

It is a beautiful movie, both in story and in photography. It is a beautiful story of enduring love and the human frailties and experiences that forever seek to break the bond of that love.

I've seen it twice now, and could watch it again and again. For me, that's the mark of a great movie.

As for television, I noticed tonight that the History Channel is doing a bio on Einstein. Since I listen to his biography by Isaacson every night (narrated by Edward Hermann, whose voice I adore), I am anxious to see how it compares to the written biography. He was a fascinating man.

Critics have somewhat panned Benjamin Button. I find this a little sad. Do we not go to movies to be entertained, to be moved in some way? I've had it with all the blood and gore. I'm thankful for finally a movie that swept me away.

xox

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jen! Thanks for the comment. I hope you enjoy my s mot posts, most of it is not original, however, it has been helping the ladies in "my world"! We are also transplanted here in NC. Email me I would love to have contact with another pastor's wife that is local! bloomingingrace@gmail.com

Love, Jenn

Debbie said...

I really want to see that movie. We never go to the theater though.