Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ow. Ow!

Conflict.

Most of the time when I'm in a conflict situation, it's with one of my immediate family members (as in, one of my daughters). Seldom do I get into it with extended friends or family.

Unfortunately, sometimes I do. We all do; it's part of life.

I had to deal with a conflict today. And I gotta tell you, I'm pretty angry. I really want to lash out. I inadvertently hurt someone with something I said, and they --and several of their friends -- hurt me right back.

So God has blessed me with these gems --

From Proverbs 18:21:

21 Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose.

And from II Timothy 2:1-5 and 14-17:

1-5Don't be naive. There are difficult times ahead. As the end approaches, people are going to be self-absorbed, money-hungry, self-promoting, stuck-up, profane, contemptuous of parents, crude, coarse, dog-eat-dog, unbending, slanderers, impulsively wild, savage, cynical, treacherous, ruthless, bloated windbags, addicted to lust, and allergic to God. They'll make a show of religion, but behind the scenes they're animals. Stay clear of these people.

14But don't let it faze you. Stick with what you learned and believed, sure of the integrity of your teachers. . .

It's so easy to respond to unkind words with more unkind words. Want to justify that behaviour? Here you go -- honesty is the best policy. Sounds good, doesn't it? Why not let loose with that verbal cannon and just let'er fly?

Because of these two simple facts:

  1. Timing is everything.
  2. Perception is 100% reality.
No matter what people deserve from you, it is what they get and how they get it that counts.

I hope you all realise that I am talking to myself here most of all. I am chief of sinners in this department. I am so grateful that most exchanges for me happen these days through written communication -- that way I can say something, read it, change it, pray about it, change it again, speak the truth in love, and then finally hit send.

So . . .

Lord, may my words today be graced with your Spirit. You've forgiven me, so how could I possibly hold a grudge against another? Thank you for your Son, in whom I find Your incredible mercy and the kind of forgiveness that took my sins as far from me as the east is from the west.

Lord, You are so good. Thank you so much for loving me. Please forgive me today. And enable me to ask forgiveness from even people who have hurt me -- because of Jesus.

xoxoxox

2 Comments:

Patsy Baker said...

Always a good reminder. For someone who struggles to hold her tongue, it needs to be said to me alot. I always have something to say, just have to remember everyone doesn't need to hear it.

Debbie said...

Can you walk around with me and remind me of this daily?