Wednesday, September 17, 2008

You've Just Gotta Try This

This is what I've been making for the past two weeks. Everytime a pan is gone, I make another one. It's from Devin Alexander on the Discovery Health Channel. I've linked you to her original recipe, so if you'd rather make hers you can. This is essentially the same recipe but doubled, and you use a 9x13" pan rather than an 8X8. You also use a lot more coffee and chocolate chips.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
1/2 cup applesauce*
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
8 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
2-3 coffee scoops of your favourite coffee, ground
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
chocolate chips
butter-flavoured cooking spray (or just regular spray)
Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9x13" pan with spray.
Mix up the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites, and sugar until well combined with a whisk or in a mixer.
Add the dry ingredients and stir or mix until just combined and no lumps remain.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Sprinkle handfuls of chocolate chips over the top. Use as many as you like.
Bake about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Try not to eat the entire pan.
Some notes from me:
  1. Devin says to use unsweetened applesauce. Since I get those little cups of applesauce at Aldi for school lunches and snacks, I just use two of those. They're about 1/4 cup each. They also have cinnamon.
  2. I always, ALWAYS use real vanilla extract. That cheap stuff just isn't worth it.
  3. Devin says to use just 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder. I just use the coffee I drink everyday. I use beans that I grind myself, and they are hazelnut flavoured. But any ground coffee will work.
  4. Devin says to use 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips. Probably a better idea if you want to keep the calories down.
  5. Devin's brownies are 88 calories each. Mine are more like 100-120 each, depending on how many chocolate chips you add.

Enjoy! This ain't no diet food!

0 Comments: