Saturday, February 21, 2009

Holy Moments

I read this today in Luke 8:34-36 --

They came to Jesus and found the man from whom the demons had been sent, sitting there at Jesus' feet, wearing decent clothes and making sense. It was a holy moment, and for a short time they were more reverent than curious.

This whole passage is very familiar to me because I have been in ministry for all my adult life and I went to Bible college. But it may not be familiar to you. It's the story of the man who was possessed by demons in a place called Geresenes. Briefly -- it goes like this:

When Jesus asked the name of the demon, it replied "Legion, for we are many." And Jesus cast the demons out of the man and into a nearby herd of pigs, and the pigs ran off a cliff and died. As the hours passed, people heard what happened and came and saw, and then the guy who owned the pigs got all upset that his herd was gone, and people started gossipping -- and then everyone was upset and Jesus had to leave.

I've read this story many, many times. And in several versions -- although I always use "The Message" nowadays. For me, this is a classic case of how reading the Bible always gives you something new. I don't remember ever hearing that in those brief moments after the demon-possessed man was rid of the demons, he was then clothed, making sense, and it was a holy moment.

Holy moments tend to slip by me regularly. But every so often I will catch one. I had one last night with Babydoll, who has the flu and a bad cough. We bundled up and went outside for about 10 or 15 minutes, because she still gets something akin to croup. The damp night air calms her larynx and eases the swelling, making her airway more clear.

We stood there with our arms around each other. She still fits very neatly under my chin, although she's growing still. We looked at the beautiful, beautiful stars, and I sang her a lullaby, and sang Jesus Loves Me, and a praise song called I Love You Lord.

It was a holy moment. Just me and my baby girl and God, praising His creation and beauty and taking the time to let Him heal her. It was the present and the past, now and all the times I'd done it before when she really was a little baby or a toddler. It was precious.

O Lord, please open our eyes and slow us down. We long for those holy moments with you. They are precious and one of the sweet gifts you give us. Thank you for our Saviour Jesus, Amen.

xoxox

1 Comment:

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

amen. and isn't it amazing how "living" the Bible is? There's always something new to be found, always something appropriate, always something we need to hear. Great post!