Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Proverbs Pop-Ups

I think I read my favourite chapter of Proverbs today. So much great stuff, wow!

It's Chapter 25 -- from "The Message:"

2 God delights in concealing things; scientists delight in discovering things.

If only every scientist realised he was on a divine scavenger hunt.

3 Like the horizons for breadth and the ocean for depth, the understanding of a good leader is broad and deep.

How many times have we asked ourselves how great it would be if we could just fix social security without taking money out of the mouths of the poor?

4-5 Remove impurities from the silver and the silversmith can craft a fine chalice; Remove the wicked from leadership and authority will be credible and God-honoring.

And if we could just stop being human long enough to serve -- instead of trying to get re-elected.

6-7 Don't work yourself into the spotlight; don't push your way into the place of prominence. It's better to be promoted to a place of honor than face humiliation by being demoted.

I so often think I am smarter than I am.

8 Don't jump to conclusions—there may be a perfectly good explanation for what you just saw.

Ouch!

9-10 In the heat of an argument, don't betray confidences; Word is sure to get around, and no one will trust you.

Better to have no ammunition in a fight, I guess, than have the wrong ammunition --

11-12 The right word at the right time is like a custom-made piece of jewelry, And a wise friend's timely reprimand is like a gold ring slipped on your finger.

Do you have a friend like this, who can correct you without crushing your spirit? She can make you look good by just whispering "Hey, you've got lipstick on your teeth." What a gift!

13 Reliable friends who do what they say are like cool drinks in sweltering heat—refreshing!

Ah, the rewards of delegation!

14 Like billowing clouds that bring no rain is the person who talks big but never produces.

God forgive me for all the times I've promised and not delivered.

15 Patient persistence pierces through indifference; gentle speech breaks down rigid defenses.

I'm so much more willing to see the point if I don't feel I'm being attacked.


16-17 When you're given a box of candy, don't gulp it all down; eat too much chocolate and you'll make yourself sick; And when you find a friend, don't outwear your welcome; show up at all hours and he'll soon get fed up.

Too much of a good thing is never a good thing. And I thought that wasn't in the Bible.

18 Anyone who tells lies against the neighbors in court or on the street is a loose cannon.

No kidding. Talk about a person who makes trouble. Lies turn into more lies and gossip and everybody gets hurt. What a mess.

19 Trusting a double-crosser when you're in trouble is like biting down on an abscessed tooth.

Double ouch.

20 Singing light songs to the heavyhearted is like pouring salt in their wounds.

Much better to just cry with me than try and change my mind. Let God do the changing -- I won't ever, ever forget the tears you've shared with me.

21-22 If you see your enemy hungry, go buy him lunch; if he's thirsty, bring him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness, and God will look after you.

Maybe we can do it anonymously. God would still know.

23 A north wind brings stormy weather, and a gossipy tongue stormy looks.

Not a good thing in a small town. You just never know who's related to whom.

24 Better to live alone in a tumbledown shack than share a mansion with a nagging spouse.

Honestly? Triple ouch!

25 Like a cool drink of water when you're worn out and weary is a letter from a long-lost friend.

Email counts, too.

26 A good person who gives in to a bad person is a muddied spring, a polluted well.

It's that whole good intentions get you nowhere thing here. Never a good thing to step even one foot down the wrong path -- and I generally know exactly when I'm looking down the wrong path.

27 It's not smart to stuff yourself with sweets, nor is glory piled on glory good for you.

Yep, fat and conceited. Not a good combination.

28 A person without self-control is like a house with its doors and windows knocked out.

So I guess whatever influences want to come in and take advantage, will.
I, for one, don't want any drug-dealers or crackheads living in my house. So I guess I'd better spend the money for decent doors, windows -- and locks!

These are just my thoughts, but I hope God uses them to spark some thoughts of your own today --


xoxox

1 Comment:

Debbie said...

These really spoke to me. Especially 6-7. I often find myself in that situation.