Friday, March 6, 2009

God's (lack of an) Answering Machine

God met me more than halfway, He freed me from my anxious fears . . . God's angel sets up a circle of protection around us while we pray. . . Worship God if you want the best; worship opens doors to all His goodness. . . Is anyone crying for help? God is listening, ready to rescue you. If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath. Disciples so often get into trouble; still, God is there every time.

These verses from Psalm 34 really struck me today. This is probably because Hunk O Man and I had a serious discussion the other night about money -- primarily, the lack of it. We're in the same situation as everyone else in this country; too much month and not enough income.

I got seriously worried the other night, and I seldom get worried about money like that.

(I think this is because I spent so many of my single years poor. I have never been good with money, and I always managed -- although seldom well. To hear that there isn't enough money isn't worrisome to me, because I've got so much experience in doing without it!)

But I was worried the other night. So, I prayed. What else can you do?

I always am convinced that God will meet us in our need. Scripture reiterates it over and over again. My faith in this seems to grow easier and stronger as I age -- although I have to say, there is more to worry about now more than ever. Therein lies the challenge!

So yesterday, I ran around doing the daily things -- met Nancy for coffee (every Thursday), went to a doctor's appointment, stopped at Goodwill. Ran through a list of ideas in my mind about stuff I can make and sell on Etsy. Prayed about getting a job. Called Hunk O Man and talked to him about a lot we own and have been trying to sell for a couple of years.

Now, Hunk O Man is a connector of people. He is the greatest networker I have ever met. The man knows everyone. He amazes me all the time.

So when I picked up he and the Bug on my way home from my appointment, I wasn't surprised when he offered to run interference for me with some people in the school system. He knows them all, so he offered to introduce me to the "powers that be."

This turned into a quick stop at the school administration office, and about an hour long visit with a Dottie, a lovely woman whom I was delighted to meet. It turns out that as soon as a couple of formalities are completed, I'll be able to start substitute teaching at the high school. And Dottie tells me I can probably work every day if I like.

You know, that's some pretty fast answered prayer. Me working would take some of the pressure off our finances. And it's not just any job -- it's working in the schools where my children already are, and on a flexible schedule that enables me to work when I like and not work when I can't.

He really is there, right there, every time. The God that loves and protects me is looking out for me and my family, specks of dust that we are (in the scope of creation), with a love that simply will not ever stop.

On our answering machine, you hear Bug saying "Hi, this is the Wesner's; you know how we never answer the phone, so leave a message!"

Never once have I needed to leave a message with God, and never once have I gotten his machine. I'm pretty sure He doesn't have one. Thank you, Lord!

xoxoxox

1 Comment:

Debbie said...

Oh you are so right! He does answer whenever we call.