Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Rest of the Song

And so we meet again

After all these many years

Did we sow the seeds we're reaping,

Now that the harvest draws us here?

It seems that love blooms out of season

And much joy can blossom from many tears



And so, old friends,

You must forget what you had to forgive

And let love be stronger than the feelings

That rage and run beneath the bridge

Knowing morning follows evening

Makes each new day come as a gift.


That song is by Rich Mullins, who is one of my all-time favourite songwriters.


I'm not sure what was going on in his life when he wrote it, but I can imagine, can't you? Seeing old friends, looking at the "wake" of your life and wondering how you got where you are, and yet knowing that you made each choice that brought you to where you are.


And I love that third verse, where he describes conflict like "the feelings that rage and run beneath the bridge." Getting over the conflict is the bridge on which you're standing -- but it does not deny that there were raging feelings.


And once again I am speechless that this wonder of words and music came from a very flawed man -- what does this tell me about God, from Whom the wonder comes?


Wow.


xoxox



You can find this song by Rich Mullins, "Hello Old Friends" at Rhapsody.com.

3 Comments:

Debbie said...

This is a wonderful song. I agree with you.

Stephanie said...

Jen, Thank you so much for your story about your very own Makenna Rose!!!!!!!! Tanya's email address is t.i.mynrd@comcast.net

becky s said...

I really miss Rich Mullins. He was such a great singer. I saw him in concert about 15 years ago. He had so many great songs. We used to love the screendoor on a submarine song. Fun!