Saturday, April 11, 2009

Acts 10

I just read this, and there were a couple of things that really struck me.

First of all, Mr. Regular Guy Cornelius. Here's how he is described:

There was a man named Cornelius who lived in Caesarea, captain of the Italian Guard stationed there. He was a thoroughly good man. He had led everyone in his house to live worshipfully before God, was always helping people in need, and had the habit of prayer.

Just a regular guy, right? He was Italian, so I'll be he was even good looking. A good-looking Italian soldier. Relatively godly. Prays a lot and does good deeds. Leads his family in a godly way.

Well, he gets a visit from an angel.

Now I know a lot of godly people. But they don't get visits from angels. Obviously there was a purpose to this angel's visit, having to do with Peter.

But you know, WHOA! A visit from an angel, folks!

I'm thinking here that I want to be that kind of godly. I'd like a visit from an angel. Can you imagine? A person appears at your door, you invite them in, they fill the room with light . . .

Next amazing thing from this chapter. Peter is lost in thought and prayer and meditation -- and the Spirit speaks to him to tell him there are people at the door:

Peter, lost in thought, didn't hear them, so the Spirit whispered to him, "Three men are knocking at the door looking for you. Get down there and go with them. Don't ask any questions. I sent them to get you."

OK, I'm pretty close to the Spirit of God -- I talk to him all the time. But I don't think He's ever whispered to me that there are people at my door and I need to pay attention. I have never audibly heard the voice of God say "Hey Jen, go to the door." Or "Hey Jen, you should answer the phone, it's from Me."

Again, can you imagine? Being so close to God that He takes the time to whisper AUDIBLY to you?

I cannot get over how these things amaze me. These aren't just stories, they're actual history. Strange stuff happens all the time in our universe, in our lives. But this stuff, straight from God -- WOW! How cool would it be to live in a way that would enable stuff like that to happen now? As in 2009 now?

Lord, please fix our eyes on Your marvelous face. Change us. Speak to us. Lead us. Whisper to us to pay attention. Drop in on us from time to time and fill the room with light. Give us that kind of faith. Because of Jesus, Amen.

xoxox

0 Comments: