Monday, April 6, 2009

Knowing

As in, the movie "Knowing." Hunk O Man and I had a date on Friday night, and we saw it. Hunk O Man was not impressed.

I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, at that point, just having seen it.

This is the kind of movie you really have to think about. I went to Roger Ebert's blog and read his commentary -- he LOVED it. This gave me pause; occasionally I value his opinion, but then again probably 60% of the time I disagree with him.

Anyway, Ebert's post about the movie "Knowing" is called "A Roll of Whose Dice?" I loved the title because I have been listening to Isaacson's biography of Einstein for a while now.

Before I go on, I need to tell you that one of my greatest fascinations is particle theory and astrophysics. I find documentaries on the net all the time and listen to them as I sew. And they're all in plain language, as I am no mathematician -- which all the great ones are.

So Einstein came up with the Special Theory of Relativity, and then spent the rest of his life fighting against its implications. The Theory opened the field of Quantum Mechanics, and in Quantum Mechanics, everything is measured in probabilities. Nothing is certain.

To this, Einstein replied, "God does not play dice."

Einstein was convinced that there was a mathematical answer that would unify and explain how everything happened and works. He spent the rest of his life in pursuit of it.

So this is why Ebert's post caught my eye -- he was paraphrasing Einstein. And his post is full of the questions that all philosophers ask -- why are we here? Is there purpose? Or is it random?
He even gives you a couple of videos at the end of the blog post where some well-known philosophers talk about all of it.

I listened. I thought they were missing the point. Philosophy is nice, but in the end, it's just all talking. It makes the simple very complicated. And truth is very simple in the end.

And back to the movie -- if you go to the movie's website, you'll find a sci-fi-ish end-of-the-world thriller. Well, sort of. I'm pretty sure at this point that I loved the movie. I've thought about it all weekend, and I keep thinking about it. I think it may be my very own adult version of Narnia.

Now if you haven't seen it and plan to see it, stop reading right here. In order to tell you what I thought about it, I have to tell you what happens.

Here is the best part for me: the good people, the ones who lived a good life not hurting anyone or doing anything much wrong -- they died. They were nice, they didn't kill anyone, they generally didn't sin much -- they were pretty good, according to their own standards. Still, they died in the end.

The ones who were saved were the ones who heard the message.

That's huge! Hollywood finally has validated the message of Christ, and the consequences of what will happen if we don't accept Christ!

Interestingly, the ones who died were the ones who were trying to make scientific sense of the message. They tried to understand it before accepting it.

The ones who lived simply heard, took it as true, and were saved.

Also, the ones who died were trying to prevent the inevitable. I wonder if this is what Satan is busy doing -- trying to prevent the inevitable. Trying to change the future.

Also, the message was given to a very unlikely person -- a child in class in a school, probably second or third grade. It was also passed on to another unlikely person -- another child the same age. By accident it fell into an adult's hand.

Ultimately, the movie proved to me that you can't just read the bible and try and understand it. You have to be quiet, and still, and listen for the Lord's voice. You have to hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit, and take it for what it is: truth.

You just can't try and figure it all out and then expect that to save you. I love the way the Whisper People looked, the vehicle in which they arrived, the way the earth was destroyed, and the look of the place where the children went.

Ezekiel's Wheel -- fire devours the earth -- fields of gold / streets of gold. And the tree of life.

And I loved that it reminded me that timing is everything, especially in the economy of God.

Did you see it? What did you think?

xoxoxox

2 Comments:

Fuschia said...

I think I'm going to have to see this! Even though I read your "spoiler" ;)

Debbie said...

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie. It sounds great.