Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thank You, Greta Van Susternen

I was able to watch Greta's interview last night with Sarah Palin at her home making moose chili.

And I realised this:

I have had it with all the Tina Fey impressions of Sarah Palin. No kidding. I'M DONE.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that SNL had an impact on voter's impressions of Sarah Palin. In many people's minds, she was a mindless Barbie doll that knew nothing, but apparently was just supposed to look good --

And this makes me furious.

My girls find it hilarious to imitate Tina Fey imitating Sarah Palin. Last night at the dinner table, they started in again. They insist they're not making fun of Sarah Palin, but rather Tina Fey. Even Hunk O Man agreed.

I (vehemently) did not agree. And I am finished with this unending laughter and making fun at Sarah Palin's expense.

Let me just clarify. Let's talk about what Sarah Palin actually, in fact, is:

1. A mother of five children, one under a year old and with Down's Syndrome.
2. The Governor of Alaska
3. The first female governor of Alaska.
4. The youngest governor of Alaska.
5. A state-champion athlete.
6. A former TV-sports reporter with a degree in journalism.
7. She's been married to her husband for 20 years.
8. They eloped because they didn't want their parents bearing the expense of a big wedding.
9. She's a born again Christian with conservative values.

Let me just point out a few things here -- to SNL, Tina Fey, and every kid that finds her imitation of Sarah Palin hilariously funny:

Firstly, you don't get to be Governor of any state by being a brainless beauty pageant contestant.

Secondly, you don't run a household of five kids effectively AND be the governor of any state without being some kind of amazing person. How do I know this? Because I have five kids, and none of them has special needs.

Thirdly, you don't gain the kind of maturity to think enough of your parents to spare them the expense of a big wedding by being a selfish, self-centered airhead.

And let me say this once and for all:

Sarah Palin is a successful, pioneering, amazingly talented woman who is able to balance more elements in her life than most working women. She does this by relying on God.

I admire this woman more than I can say. If I could meet her, I'd thank her for being such an example to those of us who struggle to stay organised and focused.

Now. Enough of this nonsense about this incredible woman. Shame on all of us for laughing at any of it.

xox

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Beachy Mimi said...

I think she is amazing, too. Thanks for this post.

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

ouch. You stepped on my toes a little. . .but after reading your post, I think I was due. Thanks for that.

Fuschia said...

Amen, amen, amen, and amen!